Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, and all the ships at sea--

Work has really been occupying most of my time and I'm not sure how I feel about it. While I love being able to pull in nice sized paychecks, and paying the bills (that old chestnut), I sometimes wish that money would just fall out of the sky and make things easier. And while no money has fallen out of the sky for me yet, I did have some cookery fall into my lap yesterday.

A while ago I entered a P.F. Chang's (I now endorse everything about this company) sweepstakes. I didn't really know what I would win but you only needed to send in a text to enter. In a day and age where I can send an unlimited amount of texts for a low rate of $15.99, why the heck not?

So I get the call from a guy who works for P.F. Chang's saying that I won the sweepstakes (which I had forgotten I even entered) and asking for my address to know where to ship it. More than curious about what I won, I had to ask. He said that I won: a crap-ton of vouchers for food, a set of plates, a set of wine glasses, some knives and pots, a set of Bose speakers and some other swag. I was floored. Also, I might add, at the time I was being given a whole bag of fresh veggies and a set of glassware pots from my Grandmother.

I don't say all of this to tell you how I had a lucky day, or that I am trying to gloat or something. I wanted to bring up how it makes me revert back to this idea of Grace that I so desperately cling to as a follower of Christ. What makes any of my dealings with God and Christ possible is that I have been given this free gift, totally unearned and undeserved that is continuously offered to me. I really think that once this idea of grace is accepted, we see all the other millions of ways God freely gives.

Like a $25-tip day, or a whole ton of swag from P.F. Chang's.

No comments:

Post a Comment