Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Encouraged by Elijah; Part 1

If it is at all possible, I would like to take a moment to be perfectly frank with you guys. In fact, I really hope that you all can take a moment and reflect on this.

God will not stop using us despite our inequities.

Think about this for a moment.

***

Does that blow your mind? It baffles me! God won't stop using me, despite how terrible of a person that I am--God will not stop using me.

Honestly, I don't find this to be fair. For me, if I am going to be a jerk and continue to slip and stumble through this human experience, I would fully understand if God stopped finding use in me. Frankly, it just seems fair. This wonderful Creator has given me a plethora of chances and keeps believing in me. If I were God, I would stop. I would stop believing in me.

However, while I sit in this little self-pity bubble of mine, I am reminded of Elijah.

If you are reading this, you might be a Christian, or you might not be. In the case of the later, you can find the story of Elijah (the portions I will use for this post and the next) here.

Elijah, was the coolest Christian (although, he wouldn't have been called a Christian since Christ is in the title. Elijah was pre-Christ) in the world, if you ask me. Them man was fed by birds, made it stop raining, mocked the prophets of Baal and brought down fire from heaven to burn up everything from his offering to the dirt that he built the alter on.

This guy was hardcore.

Oh, and he also ran and hid under a tree, begging to die, after he irritated a queen. We can't forget that part.

So what makes this man so cool? Well, it was that God didn't stop using him. And this is what I want to talk about.

In my next post, I will talk about how God used Elijah, despite his inequities.

No comments:

Post a Comment